Over the years I have had the privilege to teach groups of children in either a Sunday School, Vacation Bible School or Kids Klub (similar to AWANA) program. For Kids Klub, the majority of the kids are from our neighborhood and most of them “unchurched”.
As I’ve been reflecting on the Christmas season, I thought back to a number of years ago when I stood before our community children and asked the question, “Who was born on Christmas Day?” To my surprise, the first child answered “Steve”. Chuckling to myself and realizing I probably was not very clear, I re-worded my question to be more specific and the next answer I got was “Jack” posed more like a question – “Jack?” I said, “Do you mean Jack Frost?” and the boy nodded. Thankfully a little girl who also comes to our Sunday School had the right answer – “JESUS!”
For any of us that teach unsaved kids on a regular basis, let’s not forget that nowadays even adults have not heard all the basics of our faith. So here are a couple of thoughts about teaching these precious children about the birth of Christ.
1. Don’t assume they know any of the story. For a lot of them they may have heard bits and pieces but may be confused in their minds in how the events played out.
2. Tell the whole story. Don’t leave out why Jesus came. Make sure you mention sin and what happened with Adam and Eve. Tell how God promised to send a Savior. Mention the cross and the resurrection. It will give them perspective and it’s a great opportunity to give them the gospel once again.
3. Get the story right! Don’t talk about the wise men at the stable or about there being 3 of them.
4. Don’t even consider correcting their thoughts on Santa Claus. However you feel about Santa, it’s not our place to tell them he doesn’t exist or spoil their fun. Not only will you have upset kids, their parents will be upset with you as well and you may lose an opportunity with them. And please, most of all, don’t go on about how if you rearrange the letters in Santa it spells Satan!
5. Give them a gift. After all, giving a gift is a representation of how God gave His indescribable gift to us!
Have fun with the kids this Christmas and thank the Lord for the opportunity He has given you!